Money-1The Federal Work-Study Program is a type of financial aid for college that provides funding to financially-needy students in exchange for work. Work-Study jobs can be found both on and off campus. Funds are awarded based on need, the school’s level of funding and when the student applies for financial aid since funds are limited. The amount of money a student earns during their Work-Study position cannot exceed the amount they are awarded by their school.

Students participating in the Federal Work-Study program will earn at least the federal minimum wage. Undergraduate students are paid on an hourly wage. The Work-Study program requires that schools pay students at least once a month and must pay the student directly unless he/she requests their wages be applied to tuition, fees or deposited into their bank account. Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for this program.

 Next topic: Federal Education Loans